Monday, September 6, 2010

And So It Begins... For Real This Time

I've been saying "And so it begins" after every time something different has occurred within my PC experience. But for real this time, I can say, "and so it begins" because this past week was the first time for me to walk in a classroom as a teacher. The life I will have for the next two years began last Monday - head first, no training wheels (even though I do love training wheels), with no warning. It's amazing to stand in front of 50+ students looking at you with eyes wide open, ready to learn. A few things that I have learned about myself since that first time is 1) I was never a person that "sweat" really badly, but this experience has shown me, yes, I do sweat. I sometimes fear that it will never stop and even in the death of winter, my sweating will still mimic 90 degree weather 2) I know more than I thought I did and 3) I will always know more than my students because I am from the United States... as terrible as it sounds, that's always one to fall back on. Toooo honest? I don't think so - but don't perceive this to be a bad thing.

Birthday celebrations were wonderful - my first birthday in the great land of the People's Republic of China included my favorite things here thus far - my favorite people, my favorite, terrible Chinese beer, and of course a night of wandering the streets of Guiyang, which always supplies a never ending scene of entertainment. To round it all out nicely, I received the best care package EVER known to man.  I'm not one to ask for many things to be sent to me from home when I am away - but in this circumstance, I was missing the staples that I rarely eat in the States, but for some reason always want while I am abroad. The list follows: Cheese-its, Sour Apple Sour Straws, Smart Food White Cheddar Popcorn, and regular movie popcorn. And if it were possible, an everything bagel with veggie cream cheese, but I'll take what I can get. I haven't smiled so much opening a box in my entire life; okay maybe when I was young and it was Christmas Day, but besides that this was heaven. And even though it was enough food to feed an army of PC volunteers, my friends near and far will enjoy these yummy treats just as much as I will.

If anyone has ideas of ways to incorporate fun activities into the realm of Tourism, let me know! And if you have great photos of places in the United States send them my way - visual effects are always a nice addition to the classroom! 

--
Whitney Morgan
SIT Graduate Institute '12
U.S Peace Corps PCV 16
Guiyang, China

1 comment:

  1. And who sent you that most amazing care package?!!! Do tell?! I think the point of it was to ration yourself for the months to come. Not give it away to all your friends :-) ehhehe lol j/k Hope you and your friends enjoy it all!!! Know that we love you and miss you!!! ttys

    ReplyDelete