Monday, October 11, 2010

National Holiday Vacation!

Holiday season has come and gone this semester in China.  Unlike the wonderful Columbus Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, this was the big holiday until the semester ends.  Myself and my two friends decided it was time to see some of the country side - so we packed our little bags and headed to Bijie to visit my friend Scottie.  A small city with a lot to offer; the people do not have foreigners very often and we found ourselves at meals watching as our friend was toasted for being the foreign teacher.  It was really a wonderful change from the big city of Guiyang, and seeing true appreciation at its finest always warms the heart and reminds us of what we're doing here. 

Most importantly, to top off the wonderful change of scenery, we found ourselves in the midst of a photography exhibit in the center square of Bijie for... wait for it... baby photos.  Now, this may sound silly, but I happen to love babies. My besties from home can vouch for me on my love for them - and it just so happens I found a true friend in Scott, because, low and behold, he happens to share the same love of funny baby photos as I do. Some one knew we were coming because this baby photo exhibit was quite possibly the best part of our visit, and gave us a few ideas for our Halloween costumes. Double bonus. 

As far as teaching and such is going - the students are alert and inquisitive.  They ask questions and have become comfortable enough to speak up in class.  For those that have taught in China before, this is a huge improvement and most importantly a triumph in the classroom for any teacher.  My Dean has told me the students speak well of me and enjoy coming to class, which of course is always a wonderful compliment.  I'll be doing class photos next week so you all can see the aspiring English speakers. 

Attached are a few photos from the trip - and most importantly, the best baby photo from the lot!

Sorry for the delay in updates - hope all is well in the States or wherever you may be!

WM

--
Whitney Morgan
SIT Graduate Institute '12
U.S Peace Corps PCV 16
Guiyang, China

No comments:

Post a Comment