Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Home-stay

I believe that when traveling one has to be ready for pretty much anything... that means incredibly awkward moments, a lot of sign language/charades, unidentifiable foods, as well as many other things. It is the moments that you are not prepared for that really make a long-lasting memory, and in most cases a terrific story. From my experience, home-stay experiences have provided more than enough material for a great joke, story, or unforgettable memory. And sure enough, Day 1 of the home-stay experience has done just that for me. I probably would have preferred a little more time, but hey, the sooner the better I suppose - at least the really awkward feelings have subsided and now it's all about nodding yes, smiling, saying 'ok' and praying you won't end up with a rabbit head on your dinner table that night.

There's always a first for everything - last night was definitely a first for me in just a couple ways. It was the first time a host mother has decided to walk in on me in the shower mid-shampoo to make sure my water was hot - luckily I was able to throw a towel on before I actually realized what she was trying to do. And last night was the first time a leisurely evening stroll became a half marathon with two other trainees in my group and their families. One other trainee I was with decided that if a walk that long existed, then this country was just entirely too big. A solid observation. My thought was that they would walk us around the entire campus and side streets to make us so tired that when we came home they wouldn't have to deal with us anymore... which I believe they succeeded in. The three of us were so exhausted we couldn't even bring ourselves to talk by the end of our "evening stroll".

I'm sure their intentions were good and the walk was lovely, until the mosquitos came out. But my family is nice - a young couple with no children who rent out a room to some one else. The apartment is very nice, very clean, and my room has a nice bed, as well as internet access. Pretty much everything you never expect in a PC home-stay. However, if I've learned anything, it's that the PC is not what most people assume it to be.

Today is the beginning of our official training to become a TEFL instructor as well as continuing with our Chinese language classes. This is the time where I'm told they separate the "big boys" from the "toddlers". As Denzel put it so eloquently in one of my favorite movies, "Remember the Titans", "If you survive camp, you're on the team... If you survive".

Game face time.


WM

7 comments:

  1. So.. this blog may be just between you and me but I am thoroughly enjoying your blog and I now go to your blog before perezhilton (you should be proud). So, hang in there and keep blogging, you can always count on me for comments :)

    Sounds like you have a great home stay and while you have already had some awkward encounters they sound like a nice couple and extremely accommodating! So glad you have Internet access!! It seems with this family you will be in tip top shape taking those "leisurely strolls". GOOD LUCK with training and I have no doubt you will survive ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay. I've tried to post my comment like 10 times so we will see if it works this time around. Well I have been enjoying your blog and I seem to be the only one reading it and posting comments, but no surprise. Your blog has become one of the main sites I look at on a daily basis and I look at your blog before perezhilton (be proud, its a big deal).

    Your family stay seems to be working out great! While there have been awkward moments they were hilarious to read. I look forward to hearing about the many adventures, "leisurely walks", meals, and awkward moments to come! GOOD LUCK with training, you are a survivor! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1st. love the profile pic whit. ha. and yes i enjoy the blog too!!!! I think that's hilarious about the walking in on you showering. hahah great

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving your updates!!!!sooo funny! Glad things are going well!!! any more "sunny" days??? haha

    ReplyDelete