Sunday, July 25, 2010

IKEA?

There is a first for everything... and who knew that the first time I'd ever go to an IKEA would be in China?? Not me. It was like walking into a little piece of Swedish heaven, and had I a home to outfit I would have gone bonkers in that store. The best part of it all... everything is made in China. No shipping costs added, no taxes... it was unlike anything I have ever seen before. Now, unfortunately, when I go home and happen to walk into an IKEA, the chair that was RMB $69 (approximately USD $10), is probably going to be USD $30. How unfortunate.

This excursion started due to the gift a friend of mine and myself are doing for our families today - making them spaghetti for lunch. We went to the biggest supermarket I have even seen - and for those that know me well, I get incredibly overwhelmed with menus and supermarkets. Too many choices, and in this circumstance, an absurd amount of people. Not to mention the little illiteracy problem I have here in this country. We were also with my friends host brother, his wife, and their one year old son, Niu Niu (meaning... cow. they give ugly endearing nicknames to their children... it's a thing here. I dunno). So while my friend and I wanted to take off, find the things we needed, they absolutely would NOT let us out of their sites... therefore, when we thought we had lost them to cover ground, finding the foods we needed for this soon to be feast, there they were, baby and cart in tow. Again, I am a "baby panda" - and even the slightest errand to do, like buying groceries, is indeed something I cannot do, because.... wait for it... I am not Chinese. Never mind I am 23 almost 24 years old. Never mind I am training to work for the US Government in China... never mind that I am, as some would consider, an adult.

It's funny putting these tiny details into perspective. Because if I were to introduce the topic of conversation, all those things - my age, my job, my education - would be reason for me to be married right now with a baby on the way. And if they didn't feel uncomfortable saying it to me, they would probably have already brought over potential suitors to fix the "problem" of no boyfriend. My students have already tried, and thank goodness I was able to put a stop to it - but I have never been in a place where me being single and 23 is such an issue. I've tackled the food issue in the house... now having to maneuver this topic is just nearly impossible. However, there is one thing I can tell my students, my host family, and any other random person who appears to be worried about the lack of "romance" in my life. I don't have to lie about it which makes it all the better... simply put... My father told me I was not allowed to come home married. Thanks for that rule Dad - it came in handy more than I thought it would.

Aside from the IKEA excursion as well as the scary supermarket, I was able to go to an unbelievable large Lilly pad farm... they have boardwalks all around the park so you are weaving in and out of the lilly pads - it was about 5 minutes from our home, but the families assured us it was "Chinese country-side". Beautiful none-the-less.

5 days until I have my interview for potential sites... 2 weeks until I receive my site announcement. Am I ready to move to my new home and get this going? Absolutely... let's just hope it works out.

3 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK with interviews! I am enjoying your pictures and posts! :) And I hope they start bringing over potential suitors because those posts would be incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the lilly picture is BEAUTIFUL! your stories are so fun to read! cant wait to see whats in store for you next! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is incredibly enjoyable for me to read your blog Whitney. Dont stop.

    I hope you ate at the Ikea cafeteria.

    Doves - Cohen

    ReplyDelete