Sunday, August 8, 2010

Guiyang, Guizhou

 Thursday has come and gone, and since then everything has just been so chaotic and busy! But I finally got my site announcement and as of right now I am thrilled with the result.  I am moving to Guiyang (approximately 3 million people...small city for China), which is the capital of Guizhou province. I will be working at Guizhou Normal University in the tourism department as their first international Native-English instructor (yikes!). My apartment is right in the middle of downtown, which is great and not so great for many reasons - but every one in the boonies seems to like the fact that I am located there. This coming week I am living with a host family - from what I've been told, because the sheet is written in Chinese characters, my host sister graduated from the University I will be teaching at, with a degree in English. She now works at another nearby school as an assistant to the Waiban office.  Waiban is the word for a government official who is in charge of all international faculty, so the good news is my host sister for the week speaks great English! 

Big day ahead for me and my 21 other Guizhou-ers... we've got about 13 hrs on an overnight train ride into the Guiyang.  And for those that have traveled in China by train before, this will certainly be an interesting experience... especially with all the luggage we've got. Wish me luck! Pictures and such will be posted when I get back next week.  

WM
--
Whitney Morgan
SIT Graduate Institute '12
U.S Peace Corps
Chengdu, China

No comments:

Post a Comment