Sunday, August 15, 2010

Site Visit

A letter to the past tenants of my soon to be new home...
Dear past PCVs,
Thank you for everything. Thank you for your millions of used, dusty, scratched, and perhaps completely damaged dvd collection. Thank you for the dirty dishes left in the sink, next to the every growing piles of dust located in every nook and cranny of the apartment. Thank you for the two closets filled with every possession y'all decided was not worthy of making the trip back to the United States and/or a friend nearby. Thank you ever so much for the wonderful smell wafting from the unplugged refrigerator that has left the entire apartment smelling something similar to vomit and soy sauce. And most importantly, thank you for the left over shoes, dirty sheets, bed linens, and left over taco seasoning packs that should have been thrown away three years ago. All gifts stated above are treasures that I will truly enjoy throwing into the garbage as soon as I arrive back in Guiyang.
Best,
The incredibly overwhelmed, P.O'd PCV.

As for everything else, the city is really wonderful. There are tons of parks to go hiking in, the city is surrounded by rounded mountains, there is a beautiful river that flows through the entire city, waterfalls to explore and the special hotpot dish served in the city is delicious. The people I met at my university were lovely and very helpful... although I still have many questions, I'm sure they will all be answered in due time. Until then, bleach, rubber gloves and shoes, lysol, as well as fabreze will all be used in large amounts until I have cleaned the apartment to the best of my ability.

2 more weeks of training and then it's off to Guiyang for good!

WM

2 comments:

  1. omg Whit I can only imagine! I bet your apartment made p&j look like a 4 star hotel...love your blog entries <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a past PCV....that's how Guiyangren welcome you. There will be more spitting on your shoes, nasty back alleys (especially through the Medical college) nasty piles of baby shit, and putrid smells to come your way... Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete